The Community Speaks … Elliott “Skipp” Roseboro: Cuomo embraces Charters – sells out other 95% of our kids

admin
By admin April 2, 2014 19:05

This is not about Charter schools vs. Public schools. There is room for both. This is about what is right and what is wrong.

Mayor Bill de Blasio has taken considerable heat for wanting to remove some Charter schools from collocation in Public school space. What Mayor de Blasio recognizes is that neither he nor any other public official has the right to sanction and continue to perpetrate unfairness and hardship upon our already-underserved youth. He understands that collocations of Charters (under the past administration) are unfair, immoral and likely unlawful. The mayor’s effort is to undo a serious and unfair imposition that never should have been instituted under any administration.

Ultimately, this is about fairness. It is not the job or right of the mayor or governor to continue to perpetrate an unfair and possibly unlawful act – even if it was started by their predecessor. What right does Cuomo have, legally or morally, to take away already limited and precious classrooms and other resources from the masses of children that have been underserved all of their lives? What right does he have to choose and serve 5% of our kids over the other 95%?

Think of it this way: If another company comes to your office and takes over your break-room and half of your offices, forcing you to take another 1 to 2 people into your personal office or cubicle, would you think that it was fair? What if those from the new company were receiving better or more specialized training, would you think it was fair then? Your space for years, but you get no breakroom and no training, still fair?

What Governor Cuomo and others seem to have forgotten is that they were elected to be the protectors of all of our school kids, not just the select 5% that make up NYC Charter schools. These legislators might want to consider whether or not they want to be conceived as the officials that thought so little of our children as to sell them out to a for-profit Charter corporation. How will Cuomo and others deal with potentially thousands of lawsuits coming from intentionally inflicting unfair treatment, unfair distribution of resources and additional and unneeded distress upon our non-Charter school children?

This from a plan that seems more self-serving than well-thought-out.

A plan and legislation that serves a tiny fraction of our populous rather than all of us.

We need to demand that our legislators serve us better and more fairly.

admin
By admin April 2, 2014 19:05
Write a comment

No Comments

No Comments Yet!

Let me tell You a sad story ! There are no comments yet, but You can be first one to comment this article.

Write a comment
View comments

Write a comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*